problems compiling 4.8 on system with both qt4 and qt5

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Oct 16 22:52:00 UTC 2016

On 2016.10.16 12:08, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> Jack
>
> On Saturday 15 October 2016 16:14:00 Jack Ostroff wrote:
>
> > I think this is at least part of my problem trying to build from 4.8
> > branch on both my home Gentoo system and a VirtualBox Kubuntu
> 16.10.  I
> > know I have enough of qt5 installed, as I have successfully compiled
> > from git head.  I'm pretty sure I have enough of qt4 installed, but
> it
> > seems that the qt5 stuff is found in preference to the qt4.  I got
> the
> > cmake to complete successfully by first doing EXPORT QT_SELECT=4.
> > However, when I then do "make" it fails with a complaint about a moc
> > file being compiled with 5.6.1. when it should be 4.8.7.  I'm hoping
> > there is some other environment variable I should set before doing
> the
> > cmake, or perhaps something I can add to one of the CMake files.
>
> Check for the QT_MOC_EXECUTABLE setting in ccmake (you may have to
> press T
> (toggle) to see it).

Won't be able to check for a while, but that does sound like a good
thing to check.  However, while I can probably fix that in ccmake and
then hopefully get a good set of config files to run make, I still
wonder what would be pulling in the wrong version.

Playing a bunch more, I am now sure it is related to some problem while
running cmake.  Setting 'export QT_SELECT=4' before running cmake made
things much better, but something is still pulling in a few qt5
pieces.  Something Alan sent me made me look and think it might have
been because alkimia was compiled with qt5, but I'm no longer sure
about that.  I have three entries in CMakeCache.txt pointing explicitly
to qt5 instead of qt4, but I have not been able to figure out where
they get pulled in.  It may be a few days before I have more time to
spend on this, unfortunately.