AppImage KMyMoney ?

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Nov 5 15:14:56 UTC 2016

On 2016.11.05 06:01, Edgar Alwers wrote:
> As the new KMyMoney version for KF5 and Qt5 is "on the way" , would
> it not be a good idea, to provide this version also as an "AppImage"
> one ? Big projects like Digikam are going this way already (
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzeiVr-byqt5SUZRMGtWa3VCUDg )
>
> See also  "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppImage"
>
> The KF5/Plasma system is actually not the easiest one to handle and
> the compilation of the new KMM does actually not function for me.
> Perhaps it would be a good idea to deliver an application that  runs
> without installation and can be always the actual version,
> independent from distributors
>
> Please consider.
>
> Edgar Alwers

I suggest filing a "wishlist" item at bugs.kde.org, so it doesn't get
forgotten.  It's not a bad idea, but all current developer effort is
going to completing the port to KDE Frameworks.  (I've cc'd the
developer list, since I suspect any further discussion would happen
there.)

I actually see on potentially good use for this in the short run.  An
AppImage of 4.8 would let folks upgrade the rest of their system to
Frameworks before the porting of KMyMoney is complete, but still use
the working 4.8.  A lot of effort has certainly been spent on allowing
both versions to exist on the same system at the same time.

The only potential negative I see is that I would guess an AppImage
file for an application would be significantly larger than a standard
distribution package, since it contains not just the application
itself, but all dependencies.  It probably doesn't matter for one or
two programs, but it might add up if you used it for many of them.

Does anyone on the list have any experience creating an AppImage file?