Handling Investment gain and loss

jeffjl.kde at outlook.com jeffjl.kde at outlook.com
Wed May 25 01:12:13 UTC 2016

I'm thinking this could be more of a reports function than a new transaction field. If appropriate "activity" choices are added for transactions, e.g. reinvested long/short term capital gains, return of capital, depreciation if we include assets in general, etc. (there may be quite a few), then it is a matter of collecting the transactions for a given asset and calculating the cost basis (and gain/loss) in a report. Except for the report, those new activities could be treated the same as existing activities, couldn't they? Existing functions could treat a reinvested long term capital gain transaction just like a "buy", for example. No change required to existing code other than recognizing the equivalence.

The report could offer selectable specifics like FIFO or average price. I'm not sure the best way to select the assets - maybe choose a date range and display any assets that had "sells" in that range? And the specific lot method probably still needs a new UI.

A report could also give you an estimated gain/loss/cost basis on an asset you still owned (unrealized gain/loss).

On the taxable / tax-deferred issue - it would be nice if this could be set at the account level.
But a report does not provide a way to tag a specific sale with a cost basis method. If you are going to use KMM data to actually do your taxes, that could be important. > Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 18:00:45 -0400