unexpected presence of a payee in an investment transaction

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 14 19:59:04 UTC 2016

I was tracking down a recent payment, and so was looking at the Payee
Veiw for a payee "MetLife".  Most of the transactions are plain
checks.  However, there was one investment transaction.  It was for
purchase of a security "METLIFE INC     COM" with the funds coming from
the default brokerage account for that investment account.  Nowhere in
the ledger do I see any mention of the Payee MetLife.  (Yes, it's the
same company - I own shares in it, and pay it for insurance premiums -
completely unrelated activities.)  I have not yet dug into the actual
KMY file, but I'm really curious why there is any payee involved in a
"buy shares" transaction with no fees involved.  I believe all the
relevant transactions were imported by OFX, either direct connect or
file import (libofx, not aqbanking).

Any explanations?

Thanks.