Archiving

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Fri Jul 15 09:14:44 UTC 2016

Jim,

On Thursday 14 July 2016 06:26:20 Jim Michaels wrote:

> Hello there,
> I've been using KMM since 1/01/2012.  This file is now up to 63.3kb.  Is
> there any way to archive previous years to another file?
> I know about 'don't show transactions prior to', but this doesn't sound
> like an archive, and the file just stays the same size.

No, this is not an archive feature. In fact, an archive feature like the one
you are looking for is on the wish list for a rather long time, but so far no
one has started working on it.

On the other hand, the size you report is not a real problem. I carry all my
finance data (since 1/01/2002 - that's ten more years) and my file is ~500KB
(GPG encrypted and compressed).

A work around would be as follows:

a) duplicate the file and decide on a date
b) delete all transactions in the archive after the chosen date
c) delete all transactions prior (but not including) the chosen date in the
working copy
d) adjust the opening balance for all asset and liability accounts to the
ending balance found in the archive.

This might not work really well for e.g. loan accounts. For regular asset and
liability this should work. A side effect: you loose all spending history and
reporting w/o switching files.

Hope that helps

Regards

Thomas