various frameworks issues

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 26 20:21:33 UTC 2016

First, it seems there have been some bugs raised recently for the
frameworks branch.  Even though this hasn't been released yet, should
we add "Frameworks" as a possible version in the bugtracker, so it's
more obvious?  Once we release, we can drop that and use the regular
version number.

Next, what is the status of making kdepimlibs an optional dependency
for the frameworks branch.  There was reviewboard request (119234)
which was discarded, although my interpretation of the discussion was
general agreement.  There was another request (119207) which was
submitted, but that was specifically for refactoring the contact
fetching code.

I'm asking because I've been trying to compile the frameworks branch,
and running into a whole host of issues, depending on the environment.
Right now I can't make it work on my main system (Gentoo, 64 bit)
because the framework pim stuff is one of the few components which
cannot coexist with the KDE4 versions, and that is absolutely required
for the current KMM, which I obviously can't do without until the
frameworks version is stable.  I've been trying to play with the cmake
settings to remove this requirement, but I don't know if I haven't
succeeded because it is not possible or I have just not set the right
switch yet.

At one point, I did get the frameworks branch running in a Kubuntu
Virtualbox guest, but I just updated both VBox (to 5.0.18) and Kubuntu
(to 16.04) also did a git pull, and now the cmake fails on some
gwenhywfar components.  I did have 4.15.2beta, and now downloaded
4.15.3.  I finally figured out to get configure to use qt5 (it seemed
pretty hidden - did I miss an obvious documentation on this?) but am
still getting make errors.  I'm avoiding posting more details yet,
hoping I'm just missing something simple, or that I'm caught in between
some update breaking something which will be fixed soon in the next
update.  In the meantime, I'm open to any general suggestions.