strange network problem updating online accounts

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 14 15:55:38 UTC 2016

On 2016.04.14 09:35, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 April 2016 16:56:19 Jack wrote:
>> For the past few days, every time I try to update an online account
>> (libofx) I get a popup "Unknown host xx.yy.com:Host not found" but I
>> can put that exact host name into Firefox and get a good result.  I
>> also get no error using that name in a ping command.  Traceroute
>> often times out before reaching the host, but it does get a good IP
>> address to use.
> >
>> This happens for all of my online accounts, including banks, credit
>> cards, and investment accounts.
> >
>> I'm at a loss as to where the problem actually occurs, since DNS is
>> obviously able to look up the address, and the address can be
>> reached.
> >
> > Any other thoughts about how I can further troubleshoot this?
>
> Wireshark is your friend to see what is going on between client and
> server.

I actually tried that, and didn't see any related packets.  I then
tried strace, and saw KMM sending a dbus message (including the related
URL).  I then used "dbus-monitor --session" and it looks to me like KMM
is handing the URL to some KDE utility or service, and I don't see
anything I can interpret until the failure message is returned.  I'm
guessing that KDE service has a stale or corrupt cache.  When I return
after the weekend, I'll just log out/log in and see if that resets dbus
and the KDE stuff.  I don't think it's worth the effort it will
probably take to fully debug and find out the actual cause.