strange network problem updating online accounts

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 13 20:56:19 UTC 2016

For the past few days, every time I try to update an online account
(libofx) I get a popup "Unknown host xx.yy.com:Host not found" but I
can put that exact host name into Firefox and get a good result.  I
also get no error using that name in a ping command.  Traceroute often
times out before reaching the host, but it does get a good IP address
to use.

This happens for all of my online accounts, including banks, credit
cards, and investment accounts.

I'm at a loss as to where the problem actually occurs, since DNS is
obviously able to look up the address, and the address can be reached.

Any other thoughts about how I can further troubleshoot this?