[Kmymoney-devel] [Kmymoney] Format specs for kmymoney file

Jack ostroffjh at frontier.com
Fri Sep 11 20:00:29 UTC 2015

On 2015.09.11 14:32, Christian Dávid wrote:
> Am Freitag, 11. September 2015, 10:49:22 schrieb Jack:
> > If it's XML, there really ought to be a DTD.  While it may not
> matter
> > if KMM is the only program to use .kmy files, it would afford an
> > additional layer of certainty when there are others, such as an
> android
> > app.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how much effort it would take to
> > create one, but I suppose I'll file a wishlist and add relevant
> > documentation to my to-read list.
>
> Hi,
>
> please note: With KMyMoney 4.8 the format will contain more data.
> Also some of
> it is defined by plugins. So potentially we do not know all details.
> However, I
> do not expect any plugin in near future which are not created by us.
>
> Greetings
> Christian

I know there is no way to be sure until it is done, but I would make a
very strong request that the XML format always be one that could be
properly described by a DTD.  While it might be necessary to extend
that "virtual" DTD for each plugin that stores data in the file, I
actually think that optional fields and tags could be "defined" in a
way that expansion is OK, even without needing to change the DTD.
Without restrictions like this, I think you really lose the advantage
of using XML - the ability to confirm the validity of any particular
xml file.  For now, where KMM is the only user, it doesn't really
matter much, but if an android app is ever created/released, or any
other special purpose apps (in lieu of writing a plugin, for example to
do year end reporting and consolidation (removing old transactions and
adjusting starting balances)) having a definitive format definition
would be really helpful.