[Kmymoney-devel] Odd stock OFX with ML Was: Consistency Check for opening dates

Jack ostroffjh at frontier.com
Fri Oct 23 17:24:16 UTC 2015

[mainly changing the topic to my issues with Merrill Lynch in OFX
downloads]

On 2015.10.22 18:55, aga wrote:
> On 22/10/15 19:47, Jack wrote:
>> On 2015.10.22 05:28, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
>>> It would be extremely useful to know how you ended up there, as
>>> this scenario should not happen in the first place. I think that
>>> all the manual entry methods do not allow to enter transactions
>>> before the opening date of an account, so I expect the source to be
>>> one of the import handlers.

>> I just discovered how this might happen, and as Thomas suspects,
>> it's from an import.  I just did an OFX import, which included a
>> dividend transaction from 08 Oct.  KMM apparently set the opening
>> date of the account to today instead of the date of the
>> transaction.  On doing a save, the consistency checker corrected the
>> opening date by setting it to the transaction date.  Since it was a
>> dividend transaction, there was no price to be imorted.  (I have no
>> idea how I got a dividend on a stock I don't seem to own, but that's
>> another story.)

> It is possible to get a dividend on a stock which you've disposed of
> fairly recently, depending on the sell date wrt. the dividend
> declaration date.

In that case, my KMM file would still have that stock listed as an
investment, just having 0 shares.  This dividend transaction is the
only mention of this new stock anywhere in my KMM file.  By looking at
info buried in the online description of this dividend, it appears I
got one share of this stock as a spin-off/dividend from another stock I
own.  I'm not sure why they haven't posted the one share add stock, but
given some of the ways ML records stuff, I'm not really surprised.

>> As additional information, however, I just cleaned up a bunch of
>> such errors, and for many of them, it WAS a buy transaction, so I
>> don't know why a price wasn't entered in those cases.  I have
>> created an anonymous file that still shows some of those errors, but
>> I'm not sure it will be useful to find out why a price didn't get
>> set from the transaction, since they are all from somewhat older
>> imports.
>
> How old are the transactions?  Originally, I found that prices for
> manually entered buy/sell transactions were not recorded/retained.  I
> fixed that (or rather I thought I had, but I can't trace the fix.  It
> may have been in KMM2.)  Anyway, it certainly is working now.

If I get ambitious enough, I could take a backup file from before I
fixed all of these and see if the original buy transactions were
manually entered or imported.  My suspicion is imported, but I can't be
sure, as I've gone back and forth with ML depending (somewhat randomly)
whether I find it more effort to manually enter or import and fix
everything.  Some of these were from 2009, so it's certainly possible
they were before that fix.