[Kmymoney-devel] Consistency Check for opening dates

Jack ostroffjh at frontier.com
Wed Oct 21 21:10:49 UTC 2015

On 2015.10.21 16:55, aga wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> On 21/10/15 20:08, Christian Dávid wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> for a while now I receive such consistency check errors:
>>
>>    * Transaction 'T000000000000000112' has a post date '⟨date⟩'
>> before one of
>> the referenced account's opening date.
>>      Referenced accounts: ⟨account name⟩
>>      The post date was not updated to '⟨date from above +3 days⟩'.
>> […]
>> Finished: 0 problems corrected. 2 problems still present.
>>
>> I think this error is not useful for the user. Mainly because the
>> long id is
>> shown – to normal users this is the only place to meet this id, so
>> it is
>> absolutely useless. We should change that (I can do that).
>>
>> However, I wanted to ask if we should stick to this message?
>> KMyMoney can
>> handle this situation very well, so why should we care?
>
> Would KMyMoney know which of the two dates the user would choose to
> alter?  The liklihood I suppose is that it is the opening date, but
> it's possible that that is not what the user would have wanted.  It
> could be that he has actually entered an obviously wrong date for a
> transaction.

Let's remember there are two separate issues here.  First, is that
T000000000012 is meaningless to most users, and it would be good to
provide the actual account name.  Separate is whether KMM should
automatically alter either of the dates.  I believe that has already
been discussed - but without any final conclusion.  As a wishlist
proposal, it would be great if for each such transaction, the user
could be given a choice of 1) alter the opening date, 2) alter the
transaction date, or 3) do nothing (allowing manual editing later.  The
problem with any of that is that the consistency check is not currently
interactive.  Would it be possible/reasonable to leave the consistency
check alone, and create a separate function to check for this specific
issue, with an interactive means to resolve the issues found.  The
consistency checker could then call this new function, perhaps with a
parameter to say report only, no interaction.

Jack

For me, what would actually be most helpful would be an easy way to
find those transactions later, without having to copy/paste/save the
consistency check output.