[Kmymoney-devel] Yet another odd reconciliation problem

Jack ostroffjh at frontier.com
Sun Jul 5 16:30:06 UTC 2015

On 2015.07.05 01:31, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 June 2015 20:23:55 Jack wrote:
>
>> I have spent the past few days reconciling several investment
>> accounts, which I have not done for several months, so I'm running
>> into lots of issues.  Many I have written about in the past, and
>> many are due to strange things that Merrill Lynch does when creating
>> their OFX downloads, some being apparent differences between the OFX
>> and their printed statements.  For now, I'll stick to things where I
>> think KMM might be improved.  I've already opened one wishlist (be
>> able to use the context menu to easily switch between ledger views
>> of investment and brokerage accounts, even if the current
>> transaction does not have any split in the other account.)
> >
>> I'm probably going to file another wishlist that when filtering an
>> investment account ledger display by a security name, that values be
>> shown in the balance column.  I know this is not reasonably possible
>> right now, since the filter is text based, and there is no way for
>> the program to know it would be safe to show balances, since the
>> display includes all transactions for the desired security.
>> However, I often want to see the history of transactions for a
>> single security, including the number of shares held.  I suppose
>> this would really be a new and different sort of filter from the
>> current text based filter.
> >
>> My current issue is with reconciliation.  Right now, on one
>> particular account, when I try to complete the reconciliation, I get
>> the message: "You are about to finish the reconciliation of this
>> account with a difference between your bank statement and the
>> transactions marked as cleared.  Are you sure you wish to finish the
>> reconciliation?"  All the numbers and transactions I see displayed
>> are completely consistent.  I am just guessing, but perhaps what KMM
>> thinks is my bank statement balance is not what I think it is.
>> Where does the program get this number?  I suppose if it is the
>> account balance from the most recent OFX import, it wouldn't match,
>> since that includes transactions from this month, and I am now
>> reconciling as of the end of the previous month.  However, if this
>> is the problem, then any time a user has done an OFX import later
>> than the date of reconciliation, this message is likely to be
>> shown.  Am I on the right track here, or is there something I'm
>> missing or apparently not aware of?
>
> I just tried to use reconciliation on an investment account for the
> very first time and found out, that it might not work. The original
> was written with cash/bank accounts in mind.
>
> Here's what I found in KEndingBalanceDlg::slotUpdateBalances()
>
>   // determine the beginning balance and ending balance based on the
> following
>   // forumulas:
>   //
>   // end balance   = current balance - sum(all non cleared
> transactions)
>   //                                 - sum(all cleared transactions
> [...]
Sorry, I left out some critical information.  Although I do regularly
reconcile the actual investment accounts, the above issue was
reconciling the brokerage account, which is a checking account.

on reconciling investment account:  Just for information now, I'll
return to more detailed debugging later.  The balances have all always
shows as $0, and when I "Finish" a reconciliation, it does NOT change
the transactions from C(leared) to R(econciled).  As I said, I'll deal
with that later, since it's not wrong, but just annoying.

on reconciling investment brokerage (checking) accounts:  I have done
this for several years, and it generally works just fine.  The only
imports I do here are to the investment account (OFX direct connect),
and I have still not figured out exactly how "connected" these are to
each other in terms of importing balances.  That's why the
error/warning popup surprised me.