[Kmymoney-devel] Yet another odd reconciliation problem

Jack ostroffjh at frontier.com
Wed Jul 1 00:23:55 UTC 2015

I have spent the past few days reconciling several investment accounts,
which I have not done for several months, so I'm running into lots of
issues.  Many I have written about in the past, and many are due to
strange things that Merrill Lynch does when creating their OFX
downloads, some being apparent differences between the OFX and their
printed statements.  For now, I'll stick to things where I think KMM
might be improved.  I've already opened one wishlist (be able to use
the context menu to easily switch between ledger views of investment
and brokerage accounts, even if the current transaction does not have
any split in the other account.)

I'm probably going to file another wishlist that when filtering an
investment account ledger display by a security name, that values be
shown in the balance column.  I know this is not reasonably possible
right now, since the filter is text based, and there is no way for the
program to know it would be safe to show balances, since the display
includes all transactions for the desired security.  However, I often
want to see the history of transactions for a single security,
including the number of shares held.  I suppose this would really be a
new and different sort of filter from the current text based filter.

My current issue is with reconciliation.  Right now, on one particular
account, when I try to complete the reconciliation, I get the message:
"You are about to finish the reconciliation of this account with a
difference between your bank statement and the transactions marked as
cleared.  Are you sure you wish to finish the reconciliation?"  All the
numbers and transactions I see displayed are completely consistent.  I
am just guessing, but perhaps what KMM thinks is my bank statement
balance is not what I think it is.  Where does the program get this
number?  I suppose if it is the account balance from the most recent
OFX import, it wouldn't match, since that includes transactions from
this month, and I am now reconciling as of the end of the previous
month.  However, if this is the problem, then any time a user has done
an OFX import later than the date of reconciliation, this message is
likely to be shown.  Am I on the right track here, or is there
something I'm missing or apparently not aware of?

Thanks for any explanations.