[Kmymoney-devel] libOFX question (relates to recent OFX failures with Chase credit card downloads)

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun Dec 13 09:37:48 UTC 2015

On Friday 11 December 2015 20:27:02 jeffjl.kde at outlook.com wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> >> Just changed time.tm_isdst as follows:
> > Maybe this is only needed for Windows. Have not checked under Linux.
>
> The only reason I noticed the problem is that "daylight" variable was still
> '1' after DST had expired and my credit card company sets the statement
> date (possibly violating the OFX spec) such that libofx sees it as
> uncorrected midnight.  So libofx was subtracting an hour from midnight,
> thereby making the statement look like it was for 11 PM on the previous
> day, and my balances wouldn't match.

I got that. Since 'daylight' is a global variable provided and set by the
library it could be that this is a Windows only problem. I am not sure, this
is certainly not my area of expertise. But before changing it, I would limit
that change to the environment that caused the problem by enclosing it in some
#ifdef structure.

> > When loading the edit field in the dialog from m_fiSettings, and this
> > value is empty/not present, then preset it
>
> This is why I was thinking a more complete solution than I currently have
> would be a button on the OFX Details page to fill the edit box with a
> "generated" string only at the user's request, because I'm not sure what
> happens if you send a <CLIENTUID> to a server that doesn't expect (or
> require) it. So I made libofx not send it if its length was zero
> (corresponding to an empty edit box), which is also good for backwards
> compatibility.

Valid point: How about a checkbox in the very same dialog that enables the
edit widget and the CLIENTUID processing? This way, the user has full control.

a) if not checked the edit field is disabled (but the generated KMM-ID is
still visible since it is the default) and the value would not be used in the
OFX request
b) if checked, that edit field is enabled and the default value will be used
in the OFX request
c) in case the user needs to change the value he can do it. The only reasons I
could currently thing of are 1) value does not work with the bank 2) a
different value is used by another application on the same computer

A tooltip/what's this could explain what that CLIENTUID business is all about.

Faster, better, cheaper - choose two of the above.
 - Old engineering proverb