[Kmymoney-devel] libOFX question (relates to recent OFX failures with Chase credit card downloads)

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Fri Dec 11 08:50:49 UTC 2015

Jeff,

On Thursday 10 December 2015 14:33:01 Jack wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> My first suggestion is that any patches for libOFX go to that mailing
> list, although there is an overlap in the developers here and there, so
> someone else might suggest how they would like to receive them.
> Patches for KMM can be sent to this list, or I believe the developers
> would prefer them posted on ReviewBoard (http://reviewboard.kde.org).
> I assume your patches to KMM depend on those to libOFX, so the order of
> inclusion would matter.  My preference (although I am not a developer)
> would be to separate the ofx patches for daylight savings, CLIENTUID,
> and other, since they could be reviewed and applied independently.

Reviewboard is just the way we developers prefer. Regarding the DST changes in
libOFX I have a question: against which version of libOFX did you apply the
patch?

> Based on my reading, the client (KKM) is supposed to generate the
> <CLIENTUID>, but as you imply, if another software has already
> generated on, it is best to be able to use that, so you don't run out
> of connections.  It seems that the server uses this to limit the number
> of clients (different computers and/or different software packages)
> which can connect to one account.  I don't think there is anything
> special or magic about creating it - it really seems to be essentially
> a random number that should be universally unique.  There are several
> libraries that can produce one, but I don't see any problem using the
> one Quicken created or hashing other values to create one.  I'm not
> sure if it's best to have one per KMM instance, or per account, or
> perhaps the first allowing to override per account if necessary.

That is also my understanding of the OFX specs. I suggest to change our UI and
logic so that a random number (each KMyMoney XML file already has such a
thing. It's stored in the global KVP as kmm-id enclosed in braces) is used and
can be overridden by the user (in case s/he wants to use the one generated by
another program or another KMyMoney file). Thoughts?

> I actually got a voice mail from somone at Chase today - his message
> said he would be glad to assist me, but he will be out of the office
> until 12/14.  If he's already out of the office today - that's some
> great support.
>
> Thanks for the work on this.
>
> Jack

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men
trying to find easier ways to do something. -- Robert Heinlein