[Kmymoney-devel] Review Request 124115: BUG:349027 Fix transaction classed as a "transfer" instead of a "withdrawal".

Thomas Baumgart tbaumgart at kde.org
Wed Aug 26 13:36:18 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Wednesday 26 August 2015 10:56:00 Allan Anderson wrote:

> [...]
> > > action, one should be capable of entering a transaction via the form to
> > > show the problem.>
> > Allan Anderson wrote:
> >     As I indicated to the OP on the BKO, I don't see, and have never seen,
> >     the withdrawal and deposit fields being disabled. He is on, I think,
> >     4.7.1.
> >
> >     So, I concentrated on the mis-classification of a "transfer" as a
> >     "withdrawal".
> >
> >     Entering manually a new transaction, or editing an existing withdrawal
> >     or deposit, with no category, it will show as a transfer. Open it for
> >     editing, and it will then switch to either withdrawal or deposit.
> >     Close without any change, and it reverts to a transfer.  As this
> >     seemed similar to the OP's other issue, I investigated that.
> >
> >     Similarly, an imported transaction with no category will show as a
> >     transfer, and one with a category will show as either withdrawal or
> >     deposit.>
> > Allan Anderson wrote:
> >     Do I need to be doing anything with this?  I'm thinking of the
> >     upcoming 4.8.>
> > Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> >     I investigated this a bit further. The problem can only exist, if the
> >     transaction is not categorized. In that case, the transaction has
> >     only a single split. In all other cases, the existing logic works as
> >     designed and should not be changed.
> >
> >     The fix should keep the current logic unchanged (it will change it in
> >     case of a mixed multi-split transaction and shows different results
> >     depending on the order of the splits referencing income/expense or
> >     asset/liability accounts). If the first one found is income/expense
> >     it shows 'Withdrawal' or 'Deposit' if it is asset/liability it will
> >     show 'Transfer'. The current implementation shows
> >     'Deposit/Withdrawal' for any mixed multi-split transaction.
> >
> >     I suggest to enclose the current logic to cover the corner case of a
> >     single split transaction and determine withdrawal/deposit solely on
> >     the amount of the split in this case, e.g.>
> >         KMyMoneyRegister::Action StdTransaction::actionType() const
> >         {
> >
> >           KMyMoneyRegister::Action action = ActionNone;
> >
> >           if(m_transaction.splitCount() > 1) {
> >
> >             // keep the current logic as is
> >
> >           } else {
> >
> >             action = m_split.shares().isNegative() ? ActionWithdrawal :
> >             ActionDeposit;
> >
> >           }
> >           return action;
> >
> >         }
>
> I'm missing something here.
>
> Without your proposed patch, I still don't see the withdrawal and deposit
> fields being disabled.
>
> If I import a simple QIF file, like -
> !Type:Bank
> D01-06-08
> PADDED NET INT
> T80.07
> ^
>
> initially the Transfer tab is enabled, although clicking on any of them
> moves focus to the following empty transaction.

This is in view (as opposed to edit) mode. A click on any of the tabs creates
a new transaction in this mode.

> If I click Edit, any tab may be selected.

That is OK, because it is not categorized yet.

> If I select Withdrawal, and edit the payee and add a
> category, as per the OP, both the Deposit and Withdrawal tabs are enabled.

Yes, which is OK since you have a category and can switch between debit and
credit transaction using these two tabs.

> Clicking Enter, the transaction is saved correctly.

Good to know.

> If I don't add a category, all three are still enabled.

Yes, because the transaction is still uncategorized.

> If I enter an asset or liability account, only then are they disabled.

Yes, because the transfer does not differentiate between a credit and debit
transfer.

I don't see where the problem is. Your description is completely in line with
the original design (a few years old btw).

If a cluttered desk is characteristic of a cluttered mind,
what does an empty desk mean 1 2 b k X