[Kmymoney-devel] question on tags

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sat Sep 6 11:24:45 UTC 2014

Hi Jack,

On Friday 05 September 2014 16:12:54 Jack wrote:

> On 2014.09.04 18:51, Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
> > Tags are assigned to splits, therefore they are only applied to one
> > end of the transaction.
> > It should show the tag, regardless of there being a payee or not.
>
> > On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> >> A tag only applies to one end of a transfer transaction.  I tagged a
> >> transfer from a bank account to my cash account, but it only shows
> >> the tag in the cash account, not the bank account.
>
> You confirmed this is correct.
>
> >> In the previous transaction, there was a Payee on the transaction,
> >> and the tag does show up looking at the payee - on the transaction
> >> between the payee and case, but not the payee and the bank.  (this
> >> is not a problem, I'm just confirming it is the intended behavior.)
> >>
> >> I tagged another similar transfer, but without a Payee.  The tag
> >> does show up in the transaction details (at the bottom of the
> >> ledger) but NOT in the transaction summary within the ledger (as it
> >> DOES in the previous example). Is that difference intentional, an
> >> unintended side effect of something, or a bug?
>
> The attached screenshot shows two transactions - both transfers from a
> checking account (Citizens-check) to my cash account (Jack).  Both are
> tagged, but no tag shows on the first one.  That transaction is
> selected, so you can see the tag in the detail area at the bottom.  In
> the tag view, the tag does show on both transactions.  ATM Cash is a
> Payee - present in one transaction but not the other.

I saw that, but I am somehow unable to duplicate the scenario. Either I see
the tags in all transactions, only the selected one or in none of them at all,
depending on my settings of the ledger options.

Can you send us the test file you are using and maybe a screen shot of your
settings dialog (ledger/display and general/filter are the most important I
think).

In a world without walls and fences,
who needs windows and gates?