[Kmymoney-devel] Missing application icons of many KDE apps on MacPorts/OSX

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sat Mar 22 19:40:46 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Saturday 22 March 2014 19:39:02 mk-lists at email.de wrote:

> [ I am cross-posting this also to KMyMoney’s and KDevelop’s mailing lists,
> because I hope for some synergy (see the example at the bottom of this
> post). ]
>

> Hi devs,
>
> I know, the following might not be a very pressing one, but it is a
> long-standing issue on MacPorts [1]
>
> Many KDE applications are not showing their application icon correctly. For
> visual people it can be a show-stopper, which is why I want to bring it up
> on KDE-DEVEL.
>

> Here in my MacPorts installation I have in KDE 4.12.2 in total 55 KDE
> applications listed in /Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/.
>
> ONLY 11 of these 55 actually show a proper application icon. (I could post a
> screenshot somewhere, in case of need.)
>
> Well, the apps which are able to supply an application icon are:
> 	dolphin.app
> 	kapptemplate.app
> 	kfind.app
> 	khelpcenter.app
> 	kmymoney.app
> 	kompare.app
> 	kuiviewer.app
> 	kwrite.app
> 	lokalize.app
> 	okteta.app
> 	umbrello.app
>
> Of the remaining 55 there are certainly some which belong to applications
> which are only launchers for something or helper apps, but some are
> certainly normal applications which should be supplying an icon. I consider
> the following as such: cervisia.app
> 	kate.app
> 	kdenlive.app
> 	kdevelop.app
> 	konqueror.app
>

> An example:
> -----------------
>

> KMyMoney obviously does something differently compared to KDevelop, since
> the latter is on MacOSX/MacPorts NOT ABLE to deliver the application icon
> to OSX’ finder and dock.
>
> If one has added KDevelop to OSX’ dock, one can actually see only a generic
> Xcode-application-icon for KDevelop as long as it is not started.
>
> Once you start up KDevelop you’ll see that the icon immediately switches to
> the correct one.
>
> As soon as KDevelop is closed the icon reverts back to the generic one.
>
> However, KMyMoney does NOT do such a dance!
>

> Any ideas what could be the reason?

I found the following in KMyMoneys kmymoney/CMakeLists.txt

  KDE4_ADD_APP_ICON( kmymoney_SRCS hi*-app-kmymoney.png )

and http://techbase.kde.org/Development/CMake/Addons_for_KDE shows that this
is for Windows and MacOSX. It also talks about Finder.

Hope that helps.

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men
trying to find easier ways to do something. -- Robert Heinlein