[Kmymoney-devel] 4.6.9 Minor Multiple Transaction Editing

Michael Garrison Stuber garrisonstuber at garriber.org
Wed Mar 12 05:02:42 UTC 2014

On 3/11/14 5:00 AM, kmymoney-devel-request at kde.org wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:11:12 +0000
> From: Allan <agander93 at gmail.com>
> To: kmymoney-devel at kde.org
> Subject: Re: [Kmymoney-devel] 4.6.9 Minor Multiple Transaction Editing
> 	Bugs
>
> See interspersed.
>
> 4.6.90-xxxxx?
Version 4.6.90-2a9a43922b
>> (1)  When multi-selecting transactions, if I select two transactions of
>> different types, editing is not allowed (okay), BUT if I unselect the
>> offending transaction, I am still not allowed to edit.  I have to
>> completely unselect all transactions to be able to edit again.  I
>> haven't looked at the code to see how it works.  If it's reference
>> counting, perhaps it doesn't decrement?  If it's a lazy evaluation,
>> perhaps floating the mouse over the edit button could force a
>> reevaluation based on the current selected transactions?
> That's not quite the case.  Once you've deselected the errant one(s) and
> the remainder are still highlighted, hold down the shift key and click
> on one of them to give focus.  If you're lucky and choose the right one,
> you are now able to edit them.  If you're not, that one will get
> deselected, but CTL-select will reselect it.  I think it's the last one
> of the batch you selected.  Either way, you definitely don't need to
> completely unselect all transactions.

Okay.  That works, but I would suggest that most users will never pick
up on this subtlety.  I would suggest that the list be reevaluated each
time it is updated such that deselecting the offending transactions
solves the problem.  Put another way, you've given me a work around
(awesome!  thanks!), but I still think it needs updating.
>> (2)  This wouldn't actually be an issue, except I can't meaningfully
>> filter / search by transaction type.  (i.e., I can't select all the
>> "buy" or "sell" transactions).  As a result, if I want to change all my
>> purchases to come from a different account (for example an equity
>> account because I'm keeping my investment purchase history, but wiping
>> out my bank account history), but I have reinvested dividends tucked in,
>> selecting transactions manually becomes tedious.
>> (3)  When editing multiple investment transactions, the stock gets wiped
>> out and needs to be reentered.
> Yes, that was deliberate, but I can't now remember why I left that.  All
> fields that may be edited are cleared except the account field (for some
> reason).  So the stock needs to be edited to enable the Enter button.  I
> think I may need to revisit this area.
I have a theory as to why:  the current version allows me to edit
multiple transactions with different securities as part of a edit. That
said, while it clears fields like security and interest account if they
are different, it won't allow me to save them "blank" and leave what was
there previously intact.  I must update these cleared fields.  Thus if I
wanted to do a mass memo update (maybe to note a tax consequence related
to year end dividends for future reference), I couldn't do it across
transactions.  I would suggest that it should either clear the fields
and allow things to be save "blank" (retaining previous values), or it
shouldn't allow the edit in the first place.

Question:  In previous versions of KMM there was a setting to select the
default entry style for securities (price per share, or price per
transaction).  While there is still the option to set this on a per
security basis, I can't find the default setting for KMM.  Is it
missing?  Am I confused?  (Personally I strongly favor total per
transaction, but historically KMM has defaulted to price per share.)

Another suggestion:  Currently you can't delete a stock if it still has
prices associated with it.  I can understand not allowing a stock to be
deleted if you have transactions associated with it, but the prices?  I
would suggest prompting the user:  "Historical prices associated with
this stock.  Deleting this stock will delete all associated prices.
Proceed?"  And, assuming they confirm, wipe out the historical prices
and the security.