[Kmymoney-devel] Investment Account Bug(s)

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 18 15:16:53 UTC 2014

On 2014.07.18 09:35, Ian Neal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am setting up an investment account in KMyMoney and I have been
> trying to work out the best way of doing it. Potentially there are a
> couple of bugs or maybe it is the way I am trying to set it up.
>
> I have to pay a quarterly fee which becomes a "Commission Credit" so,
> for each trade I make, a commission deduction should be made until
> there is no credit left at which point it should be deducted as a fee
> from the trade.
>
> If I try to set it up the fee as a split transaction, going to an
> expense category and a full/partial reversal in the commission
> account, it does not work properly. To me there are two bugs:
> 1/ If the total for fees is zero, the enter icon is disabled - either
> should not be disabled at all for zero fees or should only be
> disabled if zero and not a split transaction.
> 2/ If the total for fees is NOT zero, the enter icon is enabled but:
>
>    When you enter the transaction for that entry in the investment
>    account, it incorrectly shows the account as being the commission
>    one rather than the brokerage one along with the value of the
>    reversal instead of the value of the trade. The commission account
>    and the brokerage account do show the correct payments.
>
> The second bug also causes an issue when you want to go in to edit
> the transaction as you have fix the account and then re-create the
> split transaction for the fee.
>
> Hopefully that makes sense, I am happy to clarify if required.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian
Ian,

I don't quite follow, but see if my approach makes any sense, and would
help.  I would enter the quarterly fee as a payment (actually transfer)
from some other account (checking, ...) to the brokerage account.  If
it's a transfer, no category is needed.  Then, any commissions on
actual investment transactions are handled by the fee line in the
standard buy/sell/... transaction.  No extra splits necessary.  If you
use up the full commission credit within a quarter, further commissions
just continue to be paid from the brokerage account.  My only question
is what is supposed to happen if you don't use up the credit within a
quarter.  If it just sits in the brokerage account, great.  On the
other hand, if they remainder just gets deducted, I don't see an easy
way.  You would have to track commissions during the quarter and
manually either create a payment of the remaining amount from the
brokerage account, or create some investment transaction with no actual
investment activity, but the remaining credit as the fee.

Separately, when you say that (first bug) if fee total is zero the
enter is disabled, that makes sense,  Why would you select a category
for a fee if there isn't any?  Just remove the category so the fee line
is simply not used in that transaction.  However, as I said above, I
would always enter the commission/fee, because it is not the case that
there is no commission when it comes from the credit.

If this doesn't help, then try being a bit more explicit with which
transaction you are creating within which account, especially when you
are talking about splits.  I think everything you are trying to do can
be done on an existing line in an investment transaction without
needing to create a split on any of those lines.