[Kmymoney-devel] KMyMoney Dependencies and Build Requirements

Christian Dávid christian-david at web.de
Thu Jul 3 13:32:20 UTC 2014

Am Mittwoch, 2. Juli 2014, 21:43:29 schrieb Fernando Vilas:
> I think I remember reading that for either Qt5 or KF5, that C++11 was a
> requirement. Even as far back as RHEL5, you could get the gcc44 toolchain
> installed and use "-std=c++0x" for most of what they use. Based on the
> state  of affairs with GCC, LLVM, and MSVC, I have no problem with c++11
> being a requirement. This is further supported if I am remembering
> correctly above.

Both, Qt5 and KF5 do not require C++11. I do not about KF5, but Qt5 has C++11
support. If you build it with C++11 enabled some classes contain constexpr,
move constructors, initialization lists and other nice improvements.

But I do not know if we can make use of it, as the distributions decide if the
shared libraries are compiled with C++11 enabled or not.

Anyway we should enable C++11 because *we* can make our lives easier with it.
I am sure KF5 will require it in near future (Qt probably not). Also I want it
enabled because it is more fun for me :)

With the compilers you are right, most features are supported by the main
compilers for all systems (gcc, clang and MS Visual Studio) for a long time.

Also I think it is questionable if someone who has a distribution which is
several years old is interested in compiling a new (and quite untested)
version of KMyMoney — which will be released at the end of 2014. She/he needs
to compile huge packages like Qt5, KF5 and further dependencies as well. Who
is willing to do that cannot be stopped with an old compiler.

Greetings
Chris