[Kmymoney-devel] Feature request

David Houlden djhoulden at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 15:03:10 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 15 January 2014 14:47:08 Felix Rubio Dalmau wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 	first of all, I think I must congratulate you for your work. I love
> kmymoney, and I can hardly think in using anything else to keep my finances
> in order. Thank you very much for this incredible piece of work :-)
>
> 	I want to ask for the addition to run external scripts in kmymoney. I'm
> Spanish, and the most of the stock symbols here are of the kind of "*.MC",
> which can not be downloaded by using the regular finance.yahoo.com (yahoo
> choose at some point to discontinue its support). However, is not hard at
> all to request the corresponding web page and parse it with pyhon... So, my
> request is to add a place where scripts can be added, and that output
> format is that expected from the template in the same place (very much as
> the current URL-based stock request).
>
> 	Do you have any idea on how to do this right now?

Felix,

If I understand correctly you want to write a script to retrieve prices for
the stocks. This is possible and indeed I have done it. See this section of
the manual about updating prices and adding quote sources.

Note that the URL can also be a file: URL, which the quote fetcher takes to
mean an executable script. It will pass any command-line arguments to it that
you have specified, and feed the stdout to the page parser. For example, you
might have a script called getquote.sh that contains custom quote logic,
taking the symbol as a single parameter. Your URL would be
“file:/path/to/getquote.sh %1”.

Dave.