[Kmymoney-devel] Overly wide "Details" column in ledger

Cristian Oneț onet.cristian at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 08:26:04 UTC 2014

2013/12/26 Thomas Baumgart <thb at net-bembel.de>:
> Hi all,
>
> On Thursday 05 December 2013 08:27:36 Cristian Oneț wrote:
>
>> It's definitely caused by this commit [1]. I'll check if it can be
>> caused by whitespace as Allan suggests, then that case can be solved.
>> But if you have a really long details string in some transaction then
>> I guess the scrollbar is appropriate.
>
> Not sure. I do see a scrollbar here, but using it jumps by the column and not
> smooth (maybe just another setting for the widget that is missing).
>
> The problem Marko sees is caused by the following change at the very end of
> "void Register::resize(int col, bool force)"
>
>   from:  setColumnWidth(col, w);
>   to:    setColumnWidth(col, qMax(w, minimumColumnWidth(col)));
>
> While I agree with all the other changes contained in this commit, this one
> annoys me, as it is mostly due to wide memo fields. I do give an example that
> I have here (and displaying that all in one line is just nonsense):
>
> SEPA-BASISLASTSCHRIFT EREF+ B##########V######### 41 MREF+ ############-####
> CRED+ DE36ZZZ########### S VWZ+ sonstige Zahlung KNR:2 ##########/faellig
> 13.11.20 13 Netto ##,##faellig 13.11.2013 Netto ##,##
>
> That's 205 chars. Even if using the full 1920 width I cannot display all of
> the above on the screen. My feeling here is that we need a more modern widget
> to display all of the transaction data. It should certainly be based on the
> MVD model which gives us more control over things than we have today.
>
> I would really like to revert that one line shown above to what it was before
> but want to hear some comments from others before (esp. Crisitan who made the
> change).

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for the late reply, I was away for a few weeks. The current
behavior annoys me as well so please improve it (or revert it). I
intended to but haven't had time to do so. By improvement I would
suggest improving the value returned by minimumColumnWidth(col) for
the details column or you can just revert it if you think this
approach would not work in all cases.

Regards,
Cristian