[Kmymoney-devel] Question on message from consistency check

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 4 22:53:23 UTC 2014

On 2014.12.04 17:43, Cristian Oneț wrote:
>> Recently, I've been getting an odd message as part of the
>> consistency check when saving the file after downloading new
>> investment transactions.  The message is "* shares set to value in
>> split of transaction 'T000000000000009194'" (and I may or may not
>> have enough zero's.)  I assume this is related to transactions
>> downloaded as Dividend, some of which I have changed to Reinvest
>> Dividend before saving.  In any case, without doing anything more
>> about this, the message is not repeated on the next save.
>>
>> My problem is the the T000... transaction number is not surfaced to
>> the user any other place in the application.  Might it make more
>> sense to give the account, date, and type of transaction, so the
>> user could actually find it? Should I just file a wishlist for this?
>
> From what I can see a lot of consistency messages contain the
> transaction id.

Perhaps I've just been lucky enough not to have had those
inconsistencies. :-)  I still wonder what the average user would be
expected to do with that information?  I realize it would not be
trivial to give better information - since every transaction may show
up in one or more accounts depending on the number of splits.  Does the
transaction contain which account was the one used when the transaction
was created?

>> On a related note, I was thinking about filing a wishlist item to be
>> able to surface the inner ids of accounts, transactions, splits,
>> .... somewhere in the GUI, or perhaps as a special type of report.
>> I suppose the only time I really need or want these is when
>> troubleshooting problems, in which case, I have probably unzipped a
>> copy of the KMY file, but it's not necessarily easy to find what I'm
>> looking for, so having the mapping would make it easier.
> >
> > Has anyone else ever run into this and thought of any other
> approach?
>
> I recall hearing another request like this. If somebody comes up with
> a nice way to expose these ids in the application I'm wouldn't be
> against it.

I'll start thinking about how it might look.