[Kmymoney-devel] An awful thing happened-need advice on charset

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 09:55:50 UTC 2013

On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 10:33:24 +0400
Алина Бадорина <badorina_alina at mail.ru> wrote:

>  Dear Alan,
>
> The latest version of the xml file is dated Dec 2012. I still have
> the spoiled xml file=) Please see my suggestion of what happened:
> xml --> gzip (as I can see in documentation) --> my intervention-->
> UTF16LE So I have thefile in UTF16LE now..I have tried to convert
> it to UTF8 and compress with gzip again but it does not help..It
> seems the situation is not on my side. Right?
>
> Thank you for your kind support.
>
> Alina

Hi Alina

When you say '...I have tried to convert it to UTF8 and compress with gzip
again but it does not help.', you would not need to gzip the file as
KMyMoney can handle a .xml file directly.  When you converted to UTF8,
did that result in apparently valid-looking data?

It might be worth doing a search of your complete system looking for
*.kmy files that may be lurking somewhere and that may contain at least
some of your valuable data.  Use Nautilus or Konqueror, or any other
file manager, and then tools/find file or search, or similar, using the
pattern '*.kmy'.  Look also for any deleted file with *.kmy~, also in
your wastebin/recycle bin.

Failing that, the only thing I can suggest is to send the file to me
privately, and I'll see if I can find anything.

Oh, and when replying, please copy to the list (not the file though),
as others may help/learn.

Allan