[Kmymoney-devel] Show equity accounts.

William H. Haller bill at awmach.org
Tue Nov 26 04:59:13 UTC 2013

Well, yes. If I adjust the time frame I can in theory limit some of the
badness in the reports of investment performance - but who in the world
wants to look up stock purchase and sell dates and then tweak the date
parameters for a particular security just to get the right performance
information?

This still doesn't help for the case where you really want to know how
two different lots of a stock you have purchased are doing - perhaps to
take a tax loss on one or book a profit on a different lot for tax
purposes where the rate of return information can't be separated out by
date since you actively own both.

Granted, there are other tools that you can use to track, but the
investment reports should be closer to right.

Here are a couple of examples that are just wrong. The first is taken
from a single stock equity report and the second from the historical
investment performance by account report. I would note that in my case,
the majority of the rate of returns are bogus, but the buy, sell, and
dividend information matches the ledger. Since dates aren't shown, I
can't say what it is using for dates.

Example:
Purchase 12/26/2006 6293.95
Sell	  5/2/2007  6823.89
Dividend              26.50

Annualized return 27.62%
Return on investment  0%

Miniwebtool, for example, computes ROI of 8.84% and Annualized ROI 25.41%

A compound interest computation gives 18.46%

Regardless, a return on investment of 0 is wrong.

Example2:
Purchase 6/22/2006 1977.95
Sell     9/14/2006 2205.28
Dividend              0.00

Annualized return -93.86
Return on investment 0

Miniwebtool gives ROI of 11.49%, and Annualized ROI of 49.94%

A compound interest computation gives 54.523209 %

Regardless, a negative reported return is wrong. The only way you get a
return on investment that is possibly valid is if you still own the
security. Otherwise, it shows as 0. And annualized returns frequently
turn up negative.

I can have three sequential rows with profits in each sale, and have
some randomly come up in the high 90% loss return and some compe up with
a positive value. It doesn't seem to matter if there were dividends or
not - some with dividends are positive and some are negative 90%+.

--
William Haller
Webmaster awmach.com, awmach.net, awmach.org