[Kmymoney-devel] A bug in Git master

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Tue Nov 26 07:58:36 UTC 2013

Allen,

On Monday 25 November 2013 22:51:13 Allan wrote:

> On 25/11/13 01:49, Chris Tucker wrote:

> @ Thomas please, below.
> The next point is of principal.  I've always taken it that a symbol
> needs to be unique within KMM, and I can see possible problems having
> two different securities with the same symbol.  Of course, this would
> resolve if the two securities can actually match.

Well, technically you can create multiple securities with the same symbol and
name which are handled correctly in the engine (they get their own ID).
Currencies though take their symbol as the ID.

I agree, it would create a mess and the user has no chance to distinguish
between multiple securities carrying the same name and thus can open a huge
can of worms. That's probably the reason for the 'unique security symbol'
advice.

Hope that helps in the discussion.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist,
the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is
twice as big as it needs to be.