[Kmymoney-devel] Online Banking Transfer

christian-david at web.de christian-david at web.de
Sat May 25 17:06:25 UTC 2013

Hello Developers,

I am around for a while and wanted to enrich KMyMoney with online banking
capabilities – not only downloading statements but also sending transfers to
the bank. This mail is going to be a lot of text so to the topic... One thing
to mention: I am new to open source software development. So before I continue
coding I wanted to ask you for your opinion on my approach.

A simple UML class diagram is attached. Described in words with reasons why I
think this method is good:

Transactions

KMyMoney knows about all kinds of transactions (e.g. national transfers, SEPA-
transfers, other kinds of international transfers), and offers the UI to create
these transactions. Each kind of transaction is represented by a class.

The online banking plugin tells KMyMoney which kind of transaction it supports
for which account and restrictions for it (e.g. max. amount per transaction,
number of purpose lines). But I do not know how to that at the moment.

This allows to integrate online banking in KMyMoney, e.g. a warning "Account
xy dropped below minimum saldo.", can have a button to directly transfer money
from another account to solve that issue.

accountIdentifiers

Furthermore I added the accountIdentifier classes. As far as I know only three
types of account identifications are used (national, sepa, swift) - world wide.

In a later step these accountIdentifers can be added to payees stored in
KMyMoney and used for a auto completion feature in the transaction gui
(therefor they are separated from the transaction classes).

The class germanAccountIdentifier can be used to implement the validation of
german account numbers and bank codes and to determine the bank name from the
bank code.

At the moment my proposal is of interest for users with German bank accounts
only, because only aqbanking supports transfers. However, my draft can be
transfered to all other countries as well.

Are you interested?

The attached patch includes my start of the approach. It is very basic and
does not use a lot of KMyMoney internals. Especially the implementation of the
GUI is ugly. But the classes described above should be quite okay. Still it is
far away from being able to be shipped to master.

Another question, can I use QML to create user interfaces? There aren’t any in
the git repo, has this a special reason?

Looking forward to a discussion and any ideas and hints.

Greetings
Chris