[Kmymoney-devel] Reconciliation of investment accounts

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 22 17:44:06 UTC 2013

A question recently posted to the users list reminded me that this is
something I've been meaning to ask for a long time.  I know
reconciliation is primarily relevant to cash type accounts (cash,
checking, savings, credit card).  However, what about investment
accounts?  I get a monthly statement, and I can confirm that the number
of shares of all securities is correct.  I actually do this, but when I
reconcile an investment account, the balance is always $0 (which makes
sense as there is no cash involved), and it does move the "last
reconciled" divider in the ledger, but it does not change the status of
any transactions from cleared to reconciled.  Rather than just flag
this omission as a bug, I thought I'd bring up the overall concept.
Before I go checking the OFX spec, does anyone know if it accounts for
the amount of a security held in an account?  (I know it deals with
number of shared in add/remove/buy/sell transactions.)  If so, my real
desire would be for reconciliation of an investment account to check on
the number of shares if the account is mapped online, to inform the
user if there are any mismatches, and to mark all transactions as
reconciled if the user does hit "finish."

Is there any discussion, before I add this as a wishlist to bugzilla?