[Kmymoney-devel] Ledger View Column Widths

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 09:52:00 UTC 2013

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 00:34:31 -0300
Alvaro Soliverez <asoliverez at kde.org> wrote:

> From when I had to work on it during the porting days, I can tell the
> ledger view is full of weird widgets. It needs a revamp to remove all
> the crust (we even found KDE 2.x code in there).
> But... it is the most complicated view in the app, so it will take a
> lot of dev time that we don't have at the moment.

No, I understand that, but before posting last night, I changed the
horizontalHeader()->setResizeMode() to Interactive, which seemed
helpful.  I wanted to check that there wasn't an obscure reason for it
to be that way.  The change to KDE4 was a massive undertaking, and it
would be understandable if some elements weren't optimal.

Any objection, then if I take a look in the near future, as a rewrite
probably won't be on the cards for a while?  I'll need to look at
making the changed settings persistent.

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:54 PM, Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
> > On 2013.06.20 19:16, aga wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there a major reason why the column widths behave the way they
> >> do? It doesn't seem very logical to me at the moment, or in fact
> >> ever.
> >>
> >> A slight silly, but not untypical, example is that if I choose to
> >> use a complex system for check numbers, such that the whole number
> >> is not visible, the only way I have available is to stretch the
> >> whole window. However, even that doesn't help, as the whole of the
> >> increase is grabbed by the Details column.  I accept that it is
> >> likely that that column is going to need to be the widest.  Then,
> >> why are the Payment and Deposit columns twice the width of the
> >> Balance column, when that column may be likely to have the
> >> greatest value?  Ditto for the Date.
> >>
> >> Why not allow the user to set the column widths according to *his*
> >> needs?
> >
> > Yes, I've had  similar wonders.  Is it perhaps simply an unintended
> > consequence of the particular widget used?  Could changing the
> > widget, or maybe even a more recent update to the widget, allow
> > column resizing?
> >>

> >> </rant>
> >
> > I missed the opening <rant> :-)

Yes, I deliberately excluded that as it would have upset the flow!