[Kmymoney-devel] Feedback

Allan agander93 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 13:39:58 UTC 2013

On 09/01/13 13:13, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I dropped some clarifications inline.

Plus a query from me!

> On Wednesday 09 January 2013 11:37:19 Allan wrote:
>
>> On 09/01/13 02:59, Elton Johnson wrote:
>>> I have been looking at the KMYMoney and it looks like a great software.
>>> I used Quicken until 1997 and got tired of their requirements and quirks.
>>>
>>> I have several questions
>>>
>>> 1.I had a hard time finding who to contact with a question
>>
>> Seems like you've succeeded!  There is another list for user, rather
>> than developer questions - KMyMoney Users' mailing list
>> kmymoney at kde.org, plus a forum.  This (old) thread gives some idea of
>> how they fit together - http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=8043 .
>>
>>> 2.It was mentioned about KDE ready desktop or something to that effect.
>>> Is that something I am supposed to download before the KMyMoney.
>
> Not on windows. The necessary parts come with the KMyMoney package AFAIK.
> KMyMoney also runs on other desktop environments, e.g. GNOME, but you get the
> best if you have a KDE environment.
>
>>> 3.I saw the mention of a keycode for developers (which I’m not). Is the
>>> user’s software encrypted or there is no cloud based interaction for
>>> users so it is not needed?
>>
>> I'm not fully clued up on this, as I don't use it, but it is possible
>> for users to encrypt their file.  I think the developers have access to
>> a key, for emergency use, should the user lose his/her key.
>
> Usually you have your own private/public key pair to decrypt/encrypt your data
> when using the GPG encryption feature. In case you loose your private key (and
> this already happened to users, see below) you are lost: your data is
> protected and you won't be able to get it back.
>
> For this matter, (two of) the developers have access to another key pair. The
> public part is used by KMyMoney as emergency key. In case you use it (pull it
> in your keyring and instruct KMyMoney to use it), the data is also encrypted
> for this key pair and the two mentioned devs (I am one of them) can decrypt
> the data using the private part of the emergency key pair. For this to happen,
> you need to send us the file. Be prepared that we will ask you a bunch of
> questions about the data contained just to make sure you are the owner of the
> file before we actually send it back to you. If you don't encrypt the data
> with the public emergency key we don't have a chance to get your data back. I
> hope this clears things up for you.
>
> Statistics:
>
> Requests since we have encryption: 4
> Encrypted with emergency key in these cases: 0
> Success rate to gain data back: 0%
>
> You see, people already lost their private keys and also lost the data because
> they did not use the emergency key to encrypt their data in the first place.

So that I am clear(er) now, do I take it that the user should have his
file encrypted with the emergency key before the emergency actually
occurs, but that this is not mandatory?  Otherwise, should the user lose
his key, then he is sunk.  If so, then isn't that a bit risky.  Would
there be some penalty in having that built in?

Or, am I adrift?  Cristian's crossed email seems to reinforce my
understanding, I think.

>>> 4.I have Windows 7: I am uncertain which of 2 versions I should download
>>>
>>> a.4.6.3 for KDE Platform 4 (stable) or
>>>
>>> b.4.6.2 for your Windows PC
>>
>> I'd be inclined to go for 4.6.3,as it is the current stable version.
>>
>>> 5.Are the plug-ins for users also? I’m particularly interested in the
>>> print checks and calendar.
>>
>> All the plugins ship as part of KMyMoney, and the user may enable or
>> disable them, according to their requirement.
>>
>>> a.I saw the one for KBanking to apparently allow for account downloads
>>> from the banks. This was something always quirky with Quicken and
>>> produced more screwups to correct than help. I have accounts at 4
>>> different banks. All but one provide comma delimited CSV downloads. Is
>>> that what the KBanking does? Or is it through Quicken files.
>>
>> KBanking is used when importing OFX files, which some banks provide.  It
>> seems how much success you have depends on how well your bank has
>> implemented their offering.  There is another plugin - aqbanking - which
>> is not part of KMyMoney, but may be used with it.  I'm not sure, but
>> think it is more used in Europe as it deals also with particular
>> protocols agreed there, as well as OFX.
>
> @Allan: KBanking relies on AqBanking. See my presentation for Akademy 2008
> which you can find on http://kmymoney.org/akademy2008.html The resp.
> information is contained on slides 13-15. Everyone else is welcome to check it
> out as well ;)

I am a bit hazy here and will check that out.