[Kmymoney-devel] Check writing

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 16 22:33:07 UTC 2013

On 2013.12.16 15:21, John T Bauman DDS wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can you please tell me how I can print to pre-printed checks.  I'd
> like to replace my old Quicken 99 checkwriting program with Kmymoney
> if possible.

John,

This seems to come up every now and then, and I don't think there has
been a really good answer yet.  I've picked this information from a
bunch of old list posts I still have in my mailbox.

In KMM 4.x, check printing is handled by a plugin that is included with
the source code, so it should be available, even if it isn't well
documented.  Go to "Settings" / "Confingure KMyMoney", select the
Plugins section, and click the configure icon (looks like a little
wrench).  Be sure you have a template selected.  Mine are in
/usr/share/apps/kmm_printcheck, but it might depend on your
distribution.  Then, when you have an appropriate transaction selected,
"Print Check" should be the last item on the transaction menu.

However - I just checked for myself, and even though I have a template
selected, on one of my PCs it works, but on the other the Print Check
item is grayed out on the menu, so I don't know what other
configuration option I'm missing.

If you don't even see any of the option or configuration screens, which
version are you using, what is your distro, and how did you install
KMM??

Have a look at http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=111590.

There is a little information there, pointing to the location of the
present templates, but which should be (at least here)
/usr/share/kde4/apps/kmm_printcheck.

It also mentions - "How to trigger the check printing?

After selecting a transaction in the ledger use the
'Transaction'->'Print check' action."

You could try experimenting, presumably using blank paper initially!

I believe the main issue is that you most likely have to create your
own template, but you should be able to use the one or two examples as
a starting point.

Sorry I couldn't give a more useful response.