[Kmymoney-devel] sample file

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 12:42:57 UTC 2013

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 17:23:47 +0530
CA G Rajesh <ca.grajesh at gmail.com> wrote:

> No problem, Allan.
> Since I was very eager of a help, I might have interpreted so.
>

> > Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.  It was the CSV file you were
> > unable to import that I wanted to investigate.
>
> Here is the file. This file is generated after importing the gnucash
> file into skrooge and exporting as csv therefrom. Same error occurs.
> Regards & Thanks,
> Rajesh

The only problem in the file is that the first two entries had invalid
dates '0000-00-00'.  Changing that to the same date as the other
entries, I chose the date column as '1', the payee as '5', and the
amount as '9'.  To capture other probably useful information, I
selected '2' and '11' as Memo, although additional ones could have been
added. I set the decimal symbol to ',', although I could have chosen
'.', as there were no symbols in the file.  The file then imported with
no trouble. Finally, in KMM, I did a copy/paste of the two category
entries in the memo field into the Account/category field, and all
looks good, with little effort.

Your gnucash file also imports OK.

Going back now to your first email, and your wish to have Gnucash
import the narration/descriptions as Memo instead of Payee.

Whilst it's for the user to use KMM the way that suits him best, I'm
not sure that's such a good idea.  You say you have been using KMM for
non-accounting purposes for a while, and presumably are aware of the
way KMM treats payees.  It is a fairly fundamental part of a
transaction, so by not having a payee, you lose a useful feature of
being able to examine the history for a particular payee.  If that data
is put into the memo instead, it loses most of its value, at least the
way I see it.  Also, if outside of imports, you tried entering
transactions without a payee, you would encounter difficulty, as the
payee is now a required field.

If instead, what you really wanted, was to have the imported payee
field *copied* to memo, then that can be done during CSV import, by
selecting that column for both fields.  You'll get a warning, to
confirm your intention, but it should work OK for you.  You wouldn't
even need to use Scrooge to produce the CSV file, once the CSV export
plugin gets added into KMM.