[Kmymoney-devel] Import from GnuCash

CA G Rajesh ca.grajesh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 10:11:33 UTC 2013

Hello All,
I am using KDE for all my needs, except for accounts - for which I use
GnuCash (for a long time, since Kde4 was consdered unstable then). GnuCash
is a good software, but I want a KDE equivalent. I have tested KMyMoney and
I like to switch to it.
However, when I tried to import GnuCash file, the narration/descriptions of
GnuCash are imported as Payees in KMyMoney. I have filed a bug
report/feature request in this regard - a dialog box which gives an option
to choose where to map the narrations will suffice. It seems that such
implementation will take time.
Now, to my question. I know, KMyMoney saves the accounts as a xml file,
which can be edited with Kate/Kwrite. Can some editing to this file (like,
find and replace) will put all the narration/description to description/memo
field? Rest, like payees, can be edited later - from inside KMyMoney itself.
Any help in this regard will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Rajesh