[Kmymoney-devel] Review Request: Adding Tags to Kmymoney - first draft

Mikael Kujanpaa mahead80 at nic.fi
Tue Oct 30 20:56:23 UTC 2012

First, sorry, I haven't had time to test further your patch. Since tags
functionality will affect to the saved xml file, can I anytime revert back to
stable KMyMoney and use same booking file even if tags are there? Or should I
be cautious and use only copy of my bookings and always revert back to stable
version after testing?

Of course I can do that, but then it raises the testing barrier a bit. And
sure I always take backups, but if I start to using patched KMyMoney, the
backups are then using also patched KMyMoney version.

perjantai, 26. lokakuuta 2012 00:54:32 Alessandro Russo kirjoitti:
> > - Adding tag. I think it would be more user friendly to have first
> > text field where tag name can be written, and then button to add it. If I
> > understood correctly, now I have to first add the tag, then select it and
> > rename it to the name I want to use. Also, having filter field is great,
> > but for now it looked like the field was meant for that kind of use that I
> > described. So adding my first tag felt a bit weird when I wrote "tag" to
> > the field, then pressed +-button and ended up having the text field
> > cleared and having tag named "New Tag".
>
> This is the same behavior of Payee, usually the user create a new tag
> when adding a new transaction so I don't know if we need to improve
> this. If we do it we should also change how we add a new payee.

Ah, okay, I didn't spot this logic. I tried to first create tags, but sure
it's more natural to create them while editing transactions like the payees
too.

> > - Open existing transaction, select tag for it, but cancel immediately
> > the editing => KMyMoney crashes.
>
> I tried to replicate it but I can't see any crash. Can you re-check it
> again? Maybe you did some other things before the cancel that caused the
> crash. Did you applied the last revision of the patch?

I made an anonymized version of my file, please try to test with it. You can
grab it from here http://koti.kapsi.fi/~mahead/temp/issue.anon.xml .

1. Open the file.
2. Click "Ledgers".
3. Let the last transaction be selected and click "Edit".
4. Write "foobar" into tag field. (After 'r', don't click anywhere or press
enter.)
5. Click cancel.
6. Answer no when asked "Do you want to add foobar as tag?".
=> Crash.

> > - Splipts. I recall you asked in some post how these should work. I think
> > there should be possibility to add different tags for different splits
> > into the same transaction. For example, let's assume I have two cars and
> > tags for them named "Car 1" and "Car 2". I also have category "other car
> > accessories". Now I buy new windscreen wipers for both cars at the same
> > time. So I will end up to have one transaction with two splits, so in
> > order to get correct expence report for both cars, I need to have ability
> > to tag splits separately.
>
> I'm thinking to leave this to a new patch, in the meantime the user
> could simply make 2 separate transaction. The patch is really complex
> and large, so I think it will be better to test it and ship it.

As others, I also strongly agree here.

> > That was based on quick look. Feedback from reviewing and testing
> > tends to be always negative since it points what is not working as
> > expected, so I want to emphasize that I was really positively surprised
> > how comprehensively you have already managed to get the tags to work. Keep
> > up the good work.
>
> Thanks a lot!

You are welcome.

> I'm not an expert programmer, I wrote some little programs
> using kde libraries several years ago and some other python programs
> that use pyqt, so writing this patch has been for me really instructive.

You seem to be very gifted then. :) I'm software developer too, but we use
quite exotic language at my work so unfortunately I don't have skills to
improve KMyMoney other way than by translating since I lack C++ knowledge.

Mikki