[Kmymoney-devel] KMyMoney - Can't edit transaction

David Houlden djhoulden at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 16:09:08 UTC 2012

On Friday 09 November 2012 14:47:15 Allan wrote:
> On 09/11/12 12:28, Allan wrote:
> > I've noticed a historic transaction that I'm unable to edit.
> >
> > It shows at the moment as a dividend payment from a security to a
> > 'virtual' current account, which I set up a long time ago as a sort of
> > brokerage account.  There have been numerous movements both into and out
> > of that account, both before and after this one.  As there is no reason
> > for this account to have any balance at the moment, I decided to remove
> > this one outstanding transaction.  However, I can neither edit it or
> > delete it, in either account.  All I'm allowed to do is move it to
> > another account, which I've done, but still it can't be edited
> >
> > The investment account is no longer in use and I can now close it, which
> > is what I wanted to do, but I don't understand why I'm not able to edit
> > or delete this one transaction.  The account opening date is prior.
> >
> > Please, can someone suggest why?
> >
> > Allan
>
> A supplementary question now.
>
> I have an Investment account, and below that an Equity account and below
> that a security.
>
> The top level was open, as was the bottom level, but not the Equity
> account.  In Investment view, on the account tab, the Equity appeared as
> though open, with no hint that it was closed, until right clicked.  If
> an investment account is closed, it appears as crossed through, but not
> the equity.  A bit of inconsistency, perhaps?
>
> In fact, I'm not now clear on the need/purpose for all three.
>
> Allan

Allan, I can't answer the question as to why all three are needed. I have only
ever operated with investment accounts containing stocks and funds
(securities) and a brokerage account associated with the investment account.
I've never found a need for an equity account. In fact I only have one equity
account which is called Opening Balances and I don't remember ever setting
that up. I think it was created automatically when I first started using
KMyMoney.

I'm also now wondering what the purpose of an equity account is. I haven't
found reference to it in the documentation.

Dave.