[Kmymoney-devel] strangeness importing csv

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 21 01:20:58 UTC 2012

On 2012.01.20 19:07, Jack wrote:
> I've been trying to import a csv file I just created myself.  The
> purpose is to add a transaction for a cash tip to match every one of
> a particular set of transactions I exported with a custom report.  A
> typical line in the file is:

> 2011-02-04,Personal: Appearance/Grooming,Hair Shop,-5.00,Tip
I also tried adding double quotes around the text fields, but that
didn't make any difference.

> Clearly most of the errors I'm getting are just due to careless
> fingers, as they don't repeat.  However, some are persistent.

> When I click "import" I get a popup asking me to enter the debit flag
> column number.  I cancel, hit import again, and it imports.  I assume
> a debit flag would be something to tell whether the "amount" column
> is a debit or credit - but why not put this on the main dialog?
Still not sure about this.

> Even though "Hair Shop" (actually the name of the person) is already
> a payee, it always creates a new payee - with the identical name, as
> far as I can tell.  Is there any way to assure it uses an existing
> payee?
OK - the existing payee had matching turned off.  Once I checked "Match
on Payee" it did, and stopped creating a duplicate Payee.  This also
let it set the default category for that payee, as desired.

> The amount has been imported as $500.00 not $5.00.  Do I explicitly
> need to specify the decimal symbol?
I first tried changing it to -$5.00, but no change.  Explicitly setting
the decimal symbol on the settings tab fixed it.  Since my locale
already has (as far as I can tell) this set - should this have been
necessary?

> Is there any way to get the category assigned, or will that work once
> I get it to use the existing payee?
See above - taken care of by getting the payee to match.

> Thanks for any suggestions.  (I know I could just leave the import as
> is and then edit all the transactions at once, since this is just a
> one time exercise, but I figured I'd prefer to understand what, if
> anything, I'm doing wrong.

One new issue is that with the correct amount at $5.00, three of the
transactions matched, even though the payee was different.
Fortunately, all I had to do was "unmatch" them.