[Kmymoney-devel] Help with kmymoney

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Tue Feb 28 06:42:54 UTC 2012

On Monday 27 February 2012 22:13:36 Jack wrote:

> On 2012.02.27 20:42, Joe Byers wrote:
> > I have successfully installed the kmymoney on my linux server and
> > workstations at home, saved to database, and corrected all issues
> > with the old quicken qif imports for historical 10 years of data.
>
> Sounds like a good bit of work, which touches several different areas
> where more experience is good, particularly QIF imports and use of the
> database back end.  (Which database are you using?)

+1

> > I plan to also add another Database for my consulting LLC.  I would
> > like to help the kmymoney team.  I have found some minor screen,
> > transition, and editiing suggestions.  I also have ideas for
> > additional features.
>
> All of these can be discussed on this list.  Feature suggestions can be
> entered as "wishlist" items on bugs.kde.org, where they are less likely
> to get lost.  If by editing suggestions, you mean things for the
> manual, either mention them on the list, or send them directly to me,
> as I do most of the documentation editing.  (I haven't done much for a
> while, but I do have a big list of edits that I need to apply.)  I'm
> not sure what you mean by transition - can you elaborate a bit?  Screen
> enhancements can be mentioned on this list for the developers to
> consider.

Using bugs.kde.org to drop the ideas is a valid point. Also, you can check if
someone else already had the same idea. If you like to actively add to the
code as well, please make sure to have a copy of 'git master', the bleeding
edge code and that you can build it. If you have questions on how to reach
that point, please let us know. In case you like to change the code, please
create an account on https://git.reviewboard.kde.org and drop your patches
against git there and we'll comment on them.

> > I could copy my database schema and use it for testing.  I would not
> > be able to provide it openly but could test with real data.
>
> Testing is always good, especially if you can test against the latest
> git version.  However, that is probably best done with a copy of your
> data, not your real active version.  The only reason the developers
> would want a copy of your data is if you find a bug, and then a minimal
> version that demonstrates the bug is best, but you can also create an
> anonymized version, which keeps the internal organization but changes
> all the actual identifiers and account names.

Yes, we understand very well that you don't want to disclose your financial
data to the whole world. That's why we have features such as 'encryption using
GPG' and 'anonymizing'. The latter usually helps quite well to find bugs
related to a persons data contents w/o disclosing any figures.

> > Please let me know what I can to do to help.

Please see above inline.

> I'm sure the developers will add to this.

:)

What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.
 (Punch, 1855)