[Kmymoney-devel] Questions about KMyMoney

Marek Laane bald at smail.ee
Thu Apr 19 13:20:23 UTC 2012

2012/4/19 Thomas Baumgart <thb at net-bembel.de>

> On Wednesday 18 April 2012 19:02:03 Marek Laane wrote:
> > >   2: There was a bunch of strings "shares set to value in split of

> > > I am not completely certain, but it is part of an error message during
> > > the consistency check, so it would still lead the user to look to the
> > > correct transaction for the problem.
> >
> > OK, let's wait to step forward somebody with deep knowledge :-)
>
> Sounds like you're calling me ;)
>
> Since we support multi-currency we have two numbers for each split in a
> transaction: the number of 'shares' and it's value. They are related such:
>
>   value = price * shares
>
> The number of shares is always kept in the currency of the account this
> split
> references whereas the value is always kept in the currency assigned to the
> transaction. So in case the currency for account and transaction are
> identical, 'value' and 'share' are identical since the price is 1.
>
> The messages you translate are caused by a consistency check. The comment
> says:
>
>      // make sure, that shares and value have the same number if they
>      // represent the same currency.
>
> In case the sum of all values of all splits in a transaction is zero (the
> transaction is balanced) the amount of shares is adjusted, if it is not,
> the
> value is adjusted.
>
> A second instance of those messages pop up where they deal with scheduled
> transactions.
>
> They should not pop up nowadays anymore since the application does not
> create
> 'invalid' splits anymore. They could still arise when you import from other
> sources though.
>
> I hope that gives enough information for you to continue your very welcome
> and
> appreciated work.
>
> --

Well, great thanks for thorough explanation! That was I suspected but was
not sure at all I do understand correctly. I just want to ask once more: so
"shares" here are shares as stock you can trade, not shares as part of
something? Because in Estonian there isn't possible to use same word for
both of them

> Regards
>
> Thomas Baumgart

Marek Laane,