[Kmymoney-devel] incorrect setting for monetary decimal symbol

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun Sep 18 07:54:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

on Sunday 18 September 2011 00:00:10 Jack wrote:

> On 2011.09.17 17:14, Marko Käning wrote:
> > On Sep 17, 2011, at 11:12 PM, Marko Käning wrote:
> > > When trying to start KMyMoney 4.6.0 on MacOSX a dialog pops up
> >
> > which mentions an incorrect decimal symbol that is not correctly set
> > in the KDE System Settings module.
> >
> > > How can this be fixed?
> >
> > Sorry, I forgot to add the link to the issue:
> > https://trac.macports.org/ticket/31295
>
> In a full KDE system, there is an item on the main menu for "System
> Settings."  (I believe the app name is systemsettings.)  On the main
> page that comes up, click "locales" and then under "Country/Region &
> Language" there is a "Money" tab, where you set the currency, currency
> symbol, and some other format items.

and the code you mention checks that the decimal symbol is not empty:

  if (KGlobal::locale()->monetaryDecimalSymbol().isEmpty()) {
    KMessageBox::error(0, i18n("The monetary decimal symbol is not correctly
set in the KDE System Settings module Country/Region & Language. Please set it
to a reasonable value and start KMyMoney again."), i18n("Invalid settings"));
    delete a;
    exit(1);
  }

There needs to be a value, otherwise the whole application would not work
properly.

> I haven't yet found where the
> settings are stored, but I assume somewhere under ~/.kde4.

They are stored in ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals. Here you see the German
version :)

[Locale]
DecimalSymbol=,
MonetaryDecimalSymbol=,
MonetaryThousandsSeparator=.
ThousandsSeparator=.

There can also be global places, but the exact location depend on the distro
as it seems to me. In case the value returned is empty, there must be a
setting somewhere, as the default in code when no entry is found is ',' and
'.' as used in the US locale.

Note: On my openSUSE system, I found /etc/kde4/share/config/kdeglobals.

Hope that helps.

Technology is a constant battle between manufacturers producing bigger and
more idiot-proof systems and nature producing bigger and better idiots.