[Kmymoney-devel] Question on use of default category for account

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 9 20:59:15 UTC 2011

On 2011.09.09 14:55, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on Wednesday 31 August 2011 19:03:59 Jack wrote:
>
>> On import (OFX file in my case) a category set as default for a
>> payee is assigned to new transactions for that payee.  However, if I
>> delete a payee, then no new categories are assigned, even for newly
>> imported transactions.  Would it be reasonable for KMM to assign a
>> default category to transactions assigned to a payee due to deletion
>> of another
> > payee, as long as they are currently missing a category?
>
> I read this over and over again but I can somehow not follow. Can you
> please try to use Payee1 and Payee2 instead of 'that' and 'the other'
> payee. I think then it will become clearer. Or is it just too late
> already?

Yes - I agree it is confusing.  I think I actually left out something
in the explanation.  I'll try it again.

I have Payee1 configured with Category1 as the default category.  This
works fine.  I also have Payee2 with no default category assigned.  If
I import an OFX file and a transaction is assigned to Payee2, it is
left with no assigned category, and this seems correct.  Now, if I
delete Payee2, and assign its transactions to Payee1, they still have
no category assigned.  My question is whether it would be reasonable
for Payee1's default category to be assigned to these transactions?