[Kmymoney-devel] Bug: Check number not saved

Fernando Vilas fvilas at iname.com
Thu Sep 1 01:14:53 UTC 2011

On Monday, August 29, 2011 17:59:53 Eric A. Bonney wrote:
> In working on my Android port I just noticed another possible bug. The
> last check number item does not appear to be saved in the SQLite
> database nor does there appear to be a column for this item in the database.
>
> Is this an oversight?

Sorry, this conversation got dropped off the list (kmail default issue on my
end, now fixed). To recap for the list, the other emails are in order below:

Fernando:

> Look at kmmSplits.checkNumber. It should be a varchar column long
> enough to handle most check numbers.

Eric:
> Look at the database schema for sqlite, there is no column to put it into. I
> tried creating an account in KMM and when I saved it with a check number it
> is not saved. Try it out.

Fernando:
> I opened an old .kmy file, then did a "save as database" to a SQLite
> database. I found a transaction without a check number in it, then
> made the check number 1234, hit "enter" to finish editing the
> transaction and closed KMyMoney.
> Then I ran "kmymoney -n" and opened the SQLite database that I
> had just saved. I browsed to the same transaction, and the check
> number was there.
>
> I did not remember the last time I updated from SVN, so I checked
> pre and post update. The pre-update version had the problem you
> describe, but post-update, things seem to work. It was not anything
> I did, but whatever it was worked for me...
>
> I also did a "/usr/bin/sqlite3 kmm.sqlite" and a "select * from
> kmmSplits where checkNumber='1234';" and I get the expected
> results.
>
> What am I missing?

Eric:
> Yes it is being saved in the splits with a transaction, which I get and
> I am not yet working on. What I am working on currently is the
> Categories and if you enter a new Category the input screen has a
> location for opening balance and last check number used. I think these
> shouldn't be on the input screen as they really are not relevant to say
> an expense or income account.
>
> If you create a new category and put a check number in and save that
> category, then open it for editing, you will notice that the check
> number is discarded.

Done with long quote that should be trimmed later...

It seems Eric is correct, there is no check number saved from the "new
category wizard". The dialog asks for a "last check number", which is saved so
that the next check number is 1 greater, but that number is not assigned to
the opening balance transaction. Should it be?

Regardless of the answer, should the dialog be reworded to clarify the impact
of the field?

--
Thanks,
Fernando Vilas