[Kmymoney-devel] KMyMoney Problems

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 30 23:15:15 UTC 2011

[I've trimmed down to just those points I address, but I had to
copy/paste, since replying to HTML in a text only mailer is pretty ugly]
[my comments prefaced by ==>]

On 10/29/11, Thomas Baumgart<thb at net-bembel.de> wrote:
on Saturday 29 October 2011 23:20:48 you wrote:
> On 10/29/11, Thomas Baumgart<thb at net-bembel.de> wrote:
> on Saturday 29 October 2011 21:49:12 Roger Davis wrote:

> 2) The handbook won't load because the khelpcenter executable isn't
> present.
> The 1.0 manual can be found here:
> http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/online-manual/index.html
> The 4.6 manual can be found here:
> http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/kde4/online-manual/index.html
> But how do I get it to load from the menu?
>
> 3) Get Help Online simply loads a new browser instance, no help is
> shown
> Same as above, how do II get it to load from the menu?

You need to install kfmclient, konqueror and maybe other KDE components
on your system. Ubuntu is usually a Gnome based distro and it does not
have those installed by default.

Will this work on a Ubuntu system without causing a problem?  If no
problem, how do I get and install the correct files?

==> Having the KDE libraries and programs is no problem under Ubuntu.
You should be able to find them all in the package manager - either
Software Center (easier) or Synaptics (more complete, but harder for
beginners.)  Normally, if you installed KMyMoney in that way, the
package manager should automatically install all dependencies.  Since
you say you did install KMM from Software Manager, I would normally
call this a bug in the packaging, but 1.0.5 is so old, there would be
no point in reporting it.

> 4) I can't get to community help from the opening page, kfmclient
> isn't present
>
> Yes, because you are not having installed basic KDE services.

> How do I get the basic KDE services? This version is loaded from
> Ubuntu Software Center.

See above: kfmclient, konqueror and since you are using KMyMoney 1.0.4
you need the KDE3 versions. I am not sure, if they are still available
in a Ubuntu repository. I am not a ubuntu expert nor even a user.

I will try to update to the latest version before I do these things.

==>  Actually - one question - what version of Ubuntu are you using?
Anything recent should have KMyMoney 4.x, and installing from Software
Center "should" get all the necessary dependencies, but different
versions of Ubuntu do have slightly different versions of other
software they make available (such as KMM.)

>> 6) I can't use the import OFX because it won't allow me to navigate
>> to a USB key
[snip]
Yes, it mounts automatically when I plug it in.  It also shows up on
the desktop.

==> If it is mounted, then when you try to open the file, you just need
to navigate to the directory where it is mounted.  Are you getting any
error, or do you just not see that directory from the file open
dialog?  Are you really sure you are looking in the right place?

> I guess the main thing is to upgrade, but I need a good way to do
> that without losing my data, or having to do a big process now or in
> the future. Can you help with this?

As long as you keep a good backup of everything you won't loose data.
It seems, that you haven't loaded too much data into KMyMoney at this
point, but I am reading my crystal ball here. KMyMoney 4.x can read
files written by KMyMoney 1.0.x, so there is no need to worry that you
cannot upgrade.

To get some information/help on how to upgrade, I suggest you take a
look at our forum at http://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=69 . For
example,
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=18719&sid=69b120067628a4b9916dad676052b857
contains some pointers to those newer packages. If you still have
questions, please feel free to ask here or there.

p.s. If you would do me/us a favor, please turn off HTML mails (they
are a security risk and thus turned off here) or at least turn on
alternative text format.

I am using Verizon WebMail, I'm at their whim of what kind of email to
use.

==> I sometimes use Yahoo webmail, and there is an option to send plain
text messages instead of HTML, even though HTML is the default.  If you
look through all the mail settings, you should probably find something.