[Kmymoney-devel] GPG key not found when trying to save a before decrypted file

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Oct 29 14:52:06 UTC 2011

Dear Thomas,

Am Samstag, den 29.10.2011, 07:48 +0200 schrieb Thomas Baumgart:

> on Thursday 27 October 2011 09:13:04 Paul Menzel wrote:

> > > That can happen depending on the actual version you have used before. The
> > > key (actually its ID) will be stored as part of the KMyMoney file so
> > > that the next time around it will be reused. Older versions did not
> > > store this information in the file which is now required. Using 'Save
> > > as' is what solves this problem, as you did.

> > > Since you solved it, it should not show up again.
> >
> > Actually I should have tested this a little better. It turns out I must
> > have missed a notification window telling me that the key could still
> > not be found. The following messages are printed to the terminal for
> > example.
> >
> >         X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
> >           Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
> >           Resource id:  0x3a03985
> >         X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
> >           Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
> >           Resource id:  0x3a03985
> >         X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
> >           Major opcode: 18 (X_ChangeProperty)
> >           Resource id:  0x3a03985
>
> I see some of those now and then myself, but usually they are not related. X
> is not involved in the GPG stuff, so I would not worry too much here.
>
> > So I found out that the file was not encrypted yesterday, because I was
> > not asked for password.
> >
> > Trying »Save as« again and choosing a key I am told the key cannot be
> > found. The key expired some month ago but I extended the expiration date
> > using `gpg --edit-key`. That could be the problem since using another
> > (unedited) key no error occurs and encrypted storage works. Is a key
> > copy saved somewhere in KMyMoney so that there is still the old key?
>
> No. KMyMoney does not keep copies of keys only references to the GPG keyring
> using key IDs.
>
> > Trying to add a new key the following messages are printed to the
> > terminal.
> >
> >         kmymoney(24167): couldn't create slave: "Aufruf des
> > Ein-/Ausgabemoduls nicht möglich. klauncher meldet: Unbekanntes Protokoll
> > „“.
> >         "
> >         QFile::remove: Empty or null file name
>
> An unknown protocol without a name - very strange. (good that I know some
> German :)  )
>

> Which version of KMyMoney are you using? I know that we had some trouble with
> expired and extended expiration dates in the past, but I cannot remember the
> exact version. (Does someone else here remember that?) Can you make sure to
> use 4.6.0 (which certainly does not have this problem).

        $ LANG=C dpkg -l kmymoney*
        ||/ Name                              Version                           Description
        ii  kmymoney                          4.6.0-2-1                         personal finance manager for KDE
        ii  kmymoney-common                   4.6.0-2-1                         KMyMoney architecture independent files

It looks like something else it at fault then. I would have guessed
KMyMoney uses some (common) libraries to access keys.

Thanks,

Paul