[Kmymoney-devel] New matching issue

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 26 14:54:16 UTC 2011

Good morning,

One of the problems I have importing OFX statements for my checking
account is with checks that are cashed long after I wrote them.  If I
have not manually entered a check in the ledger, than I simply change
all the necessary fields in the imported transaction.  However, if I
have already entered the transaction manually, I just have to delete
the newly imported one.  Unfortunately, I usually forget that I did so,
alter the new transaction, and only discover I now have a duplicate
transaction when the balance doesn't match.  This wouldn't be a problem
for me if the transactions were matched.  The current matching will
clearly not do it, since the dates are too far apart (as much as two
months) but the check numbers and amounts are the same, and check
numbers should be unique within account.

I'll be glad to submit a wishlist - but I want to check whether anybody
sees any reason this would be a bad idea.  I would propose that after
the current matching logic is applied, if the imported transaction has
not matched, then try to match it by check number and amount, even if
the date seems far apart.