[Kmymoney-devel] Account Balance Forecasting

Ian X Waddington iwaddox at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 12:46:02 UTC 2011

Hi

Every so often I have a look at KMyMoney to see if I want to move from
MS-Money, I know I'll have to leave MS-Money at some stage but after so many
years it will be wrench.

Anyway, one of the features in MS-Money that I have become dependent on is
the account balance forecasting tool, it uses a combination of

.         Future entered transactions,

.         Scheduled transactions, and

.         Budgeted items

To produce an account balance forecast. I use it to ensure I minimise the
balance in my current account, without going overdrawn, whilst maximising
the interest in my savings account.  With interest rates so low the benefit
is not what it used to be but it is something I really have got used to
doing and would like to continue doing.

I notice from the KMyMoney manual that is says

Forecasts can be predicted using one of two methods.

Scheduled and Future Transactions

.         KMyMoney uses a combination of future transactions already entered
into the ledgers and the entries in the Schedule.

History-based

.         KMyMoney uses values from past transactions in the ledgers to
predict future transactions.

The first option covers off two of the three I need but not the third, the
budgeting item.

Do we know if there is a way to do what I'm looking for or whether there is
development underway to produce a different forecasting option?

Those of you who are ex MS-Money users will know exactly the functionality I
am referring to which is within the bills scheduler.

Thank you for your help