[Kmymoney-devel] Is the new CSV importer working correctly?

David Houlden djhoulden at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:03:31 UTC 2011

Hi,
I downloaded a csv bank statement from my bank today and ran it through the
new CSV importer. I found one problem which is maybe a little unusual and is
down to the way my bank formatted the file. I have attached an editted version
of the file which contains the first record showing the headers and the data
record which caused a problem.

The 5th field on the record in question is the Transaction Description and it
contains a comma. That part of the field is however contained within double
quote characters. The unusual feature is that only part of the field is
contained in double quotes. The back end (which doesn't contain a comma) is
not. Importing this file confuses the CSV importer and results in the whole of
the record from the Transaction Description onwards being put into the
Transaction Description field even though there are other fields delimited by
comma.

I appreciate that this may be unusual data but I would expect that each record
should be broken into fields using the field delimiter but ignoring any field
delimiters which are contained within double quotes (the text delimiter).
Indeed, this file imports as I would expect into LibreOffice Calc.

If required I will raise a bug report for this.

Thanks,
Dave.