[Kmymoney-devel] KMyMoney has moved to git

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu Nov 10 14:42:01 UTC 2011

Hi Alvaro Soliverez,

on Thursday 10 November 2011 14:45:58 you wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Thomas Baumgart <thb at net-bembel.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > on Thursday 10 November 2011 12:47:40 Alvaro Soliverez wrote:

> > on.

> > > Each commit has a unique hash. That's enough to locate it even if it's
> > > present in several branches. You also have a date and time for each
> >
> > commit,
> >
> > > in case you need help locating it in the log.
> >
> > I played a bit with it here locally. I currently see:
> >  4.6.90-bko-238105-4.6.0-79-g8324cfb
> >
> > '4.6.90' as contained in CMakeLists.txt
> > 'bko-238105' as my local branch name I am currently on
> > '4.6.0-79-g8324cfb' as generated by 'git describe'
> >
> > Does that make sense?
>
> I don't follow. Just noting the commit id should be enough to pinpoint the
> version that is running, and even running git bisect if needed to find a
> regression.
> The commit id is unique, no matter which branch it is in.

... reading a bit more about git ...

Is it what we get with

  git log -1 | head -n 1

I also wanted to somehow make sure that I see if there are local changes not
in the (central) repository.

How would I get about finding out which version of user is running with only
the commit log id? Sorry for asking, still learning.

With every day I come closer to the grave and learn something new.
It all happens because I have wandered around too much and stumbled into
the Linux world - which is a fantastic place to be! (Algis Kabaila)