[Kmymoney-devel] validation of IBAN?

Software at quantentunnel.de Software at quantentunnel.de
Sun Nov 6 16:03:43 UTC 2011

Hi

I recently added a new account to KMyMoney and would have liked to validate the IBAN for typos and the like. As this is currently not possible in KMyMoney, I wrote a class IbanValidator : public QRegExpValidator that first checks a string whether it satisfies the basic, country-dependent criteria (length, numeric versus character symbols), then calculates the checksum.

Questions to the development team:
1. Is such feature worthwhile in KMyMoney?
2. If so, would you like to have it as separate "Validate!" button (my preference, as this makes validation voluntary; some may enter non-IBAN numbers such as US account numbers in the IBAN field) or enforced with a validator to the respective line edit?
3. Where should the templates for the country-specific definitions be stored: separate text file read at runtime (benefit: anybody can add if his/her preferred country adopts IBAN), in the source code (benefit: no setup issue; this is current implementation); or where else?

Those interested may have a look at an implementation, including a little GUI test application of both options (see question 2, above): source is on git://github.com/Al-/IbanValidator.git

Best

Al_