[Kmymoney-devel] Re: QIF IMPORT PROBLEMS @ Thomas

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sat May 21 20:07:36 CEST 2011

Hi,

on Saturday 21 May 2011 17:41:10 aga wrote:

> Hi Thomas
>
> You may have missed this point in this busy thread, bu I've been
> helping Timothy with some import difficulties, and one of these
> relates to importing an investment transaction requiring a transfer
> to/from a checking account.

I saw that and say thanks because I currently don't have too much time for
support.

> In his QIF file, Timothy has this type of line  'L[Bank Accounts:chq]',
> having setup 'Bank Accounts as an asset type account, and chq as a
> checking sub-account.  He found though, that those transactions, while
> importing the investment side, did not do a transfer, but were flagged,
> I think, as needing a category.  My understanding is that this is a
> valid construction and should do what Timothy was expecting.
>
> After some experimentation, I found that provided his accounts were
> already set up as above, the QIF file entry needed to be just '[chq],
> and that would correctly transfer the proceeds to/from the correct
> account.  Incidentally, QIF import also auto-created a top-level 'chq'
> account, which remained empty.  This has at least, got him a way to
> proceed.  Subsequent imports appeared to ignore the new auto account,
> somehow, and go into the correct sub-account.
>
> Should KMM handle 'L[Bank Accounts:chq]' like this, or is this a bug,
> do you think?  There is a subsidiary question about into which 'chq'
> account the transfer would be made, if there were a top-level or
> su-account of that name.

KMM should support it (well, in fact it's the old QIF importer that does not
somehow) and it should use it and not a top-level even if it exists. At least
it seems that this part is working.

As soon as there is an optimist who discovers a light that does not exist
there is a pessimist who blows it out. (Giovanni Guareschi)